Friday, December 18, 2009

Katherine Hat


027, originally uploaded by green finch.

Hat #3 of my christmas gift knitting. My mom wanted specifically asked me for a white cabled hat that was "not a tight beanie, but not really a slouchy hat either". So here is is, a cabled sort of beanie with a hint of slouch.

This hat is very easy, the main stitch pattern is only 4 rows (and one of them repeats) so it is easy to memorize.

Katherine Hat

Materials:

2 skeins suri merino (or other worsted weight yarn)
Size 8 16" circular needles
Size 8 dpns
Stitch markers/spare yarn.

Gauge:
9 sts. per two inches

Stitches:

Twisted Rib: *k one through the back loop, p1* around

Baby Cable: K2tog, leaving both stitches on the needle, knit first stitch again and remove both stitches from left hand needle.

C2F: Slip 2 stitches to cable needle, hold to front of the work. K2, knit the 2 stitches from the cable needle.

C2B: Slip 2 stitches to cable needle, hold to back of the work. K2, knit the 2 stitches from the cable needle.



Pattern:
- CO 80 sts. Join in the round (being careful not to twist) and place marker.
- work in twisted rib for 3 inches.
- *K1, kfb* around. (120 stitches)
- Increase 6 more stitches evenly around. (*K20, kfb* around) (126 stitches)

1.*p1, k2, p1, k6, p1, k2, p1* around
2.*P1, mini cable, p1, c2F, k2, p1, minicable, p1* around
3. Same as row one
4.*P1, minicable, p1, k2, c2b, p1, minicable, p1* around

-Repeat these four rows until work measures 9 inches from cast on edge. End with a row 1.



Begin decreases:
-*P1, k2tog, p1, k2tog, k2, k2tog, p1, k2tog, p1* around
-*P1, k1, p1, c2b, p1, k1, p1*
-*slip 1, k2tog, psso, k1, k2tog, k1, slip 1, k2tog, psso*
-*k2tog* around
-*k2tog* around


Break yarn and thread through remaining stitches, pull tight and weave in ends.

The End!

Ravelry Pattern Page


17 comments:

  1. It's SO pretty!! Thanks for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this hat! I plan on giving it a try after the holidays, featured it on my blog today! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that first picture is really pretty. love the hat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure I'm in love with your blog and all the things you make! ^.^

    The point: Your hats are really very lovely, and I wanted to make this one with the same yarn you used save a different colour. Unfortunately though, we don't have a lot of knit shops round here, but there is ONE that carries this yarn in Alabama, and it's even in my city!

    Enough rambling! I love your blog! It is very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm making this hat currently! i loooove it, and your blog :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely pattern and I am enjoying making it. Can you clarify the decreases for me? The first decrease row is in multiples of 10, but the row includes 126 stitches. What do we do with the six stitches left over? In decrease row 2, do the C2B cables line up with the mini cables, or the large cables. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent! I was looking for a very feminine-looking beret and this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this hat! I can't wait to try it! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you ask chesiir to do a visual on this ?



    Thaaaaankies

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, wow, wow. :) You re amazing. ;) Quite possibly the most succinct and current info I came across about this subject. Sure pleased that I discovered that site by accident. I really appreciate it well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this beautiful pattern!! I´ve done it!! it´s really gorgeous!! a kiss from Portugal, Gorete

    ReplyDelete
  12. Want to make one like this. Can it be made on DPN needles instead of round needles?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I am making myself one right now cause I figured I need a hat when I'm going to Germany next month! :) Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

thank you ! ❀